Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Reina's Thoughts on Content Creation

I can easily come up with ideas for pieces. I try to create original works for every performance opportunity that I am given. I am all about increasing my "company's" repertory. Part of the problem of creating original dance works is finishing them in time for the performance. Way to often the piece is only finalized minutes before we go on stage and I heavily rely on my dancers to generate movement ideas and sometimes finish the dance without me.

Naturally, coming up with ideas for pieces for Internet 2 came easily to me. However, having them come to fruition is quite another story. Since these pieces are concept driven, I am a bit at a loss about what comes next, the movement or the music? I am so grateful that Ian has agreed to be my musical composer and advisor, however he needs to know more about the dance before creating the musical score and I feel that I need the music to inspire the movement. Hopefully after today's class we will have a breakthrough and be able to proceed with generating the actual content.

No comments:

Post a Comment