Monday, February 13, 2012

Reina's Thoughts on Video Calling

I had arranged to skype call Melanie on Monday between 4pm-5pm. On that Monday morning my brother, who has been in India since January 16th, connected with me for the first time since he left on vacation. He gchatted me and I immediately wanted to videochat him. We eventually changed to skype as the connection was clearer. How is it that on the same computer with the same Internet connection one means of video calling can be better than another? In the past I have attempted to video call my mom and we have come to realize that facetime is the best, the clearest and most reliable connection for us.

What differentiates one service from another?

On my skype call with Melanie I first heard an echo of myself, but it soon ended. There is a definite delay in sound from when I hear myself clap and see myself clap however I see and hear Melanie's clap as happening at the same time. This led us to discuss what is easier to execute when anticipating a delay, music and dance that is improvised or dancing to a set piece of music? I also discussed the Internet 2 piece that I collaborated with Cheng-i Wang. Perhaps what worked was that there was a musician and dancer at each site, however the music overlapped well despite the delay. So I'm still confused on how to create work while accounting for the delay.

I also noticed that when one of us moved fast the image left a slight blurry lingering affect, which I believe has to do with the speed of how the video is being transmitted.

The ability to video call someone is relatively new. I wonder how long it will take for it to be a clear image and sound without any delays?

No comments:

Post a Comment