Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Reina's Thoughts on Internet 2

Over the past semester, I had the wonderful opportunity to collaborate with Music Tech student Cheng-i Wang. We have been exploring the use of live video capture in a dance piece. While we were preparing for my class showing, Cheng-i asked me if I would be willing to adapt my choreography for Internet 2, a performance that streams footage live from various sites. This year three different sites were scheduled to participate. Cheng-i created a score that would be played at the three locations and accompany my choreography set at each site.

Sadly, I missed the Internet 2 performance. I was celebrating the Jewish Holiday of Passover with my family and was unable to be at NYU. As an observant Jew, I was unable to even connect to the Internet to watch the live stream. On the day of the performance, surrounded by my extended family, I still wished I was at NYU watching the performance. When Cheng-i informed me that there will be another Internet 2 workshop, where only our piece would be performed, I was ecstatic!

I can't even begin to explain how amazing it was to see everything come together. Once we overcame the technical issues, the end result was awesome. At one showing my choreography was being performed internationally: NYC, Norway, and Stockholm.

I can't wait for the next opportunity to work through live stream!

Check out the footage from the workshop: Internet 2 workshop

No comments:

Post a Comment