Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Reina's Thoughts on Gadgets


I am sitting in my seat on my New York City bound plane, surrounded by upper middle class Jewish kids. One boy to my right is actually throwing a hissy fit because his in-flight entertainment console is not working. Ok, I know how much it sucks when those things do not work. But this kid up until this point was playing on his hand held gaming device. His sister, seated next to him, is fidgeting with an I-pad and I can only imagine what other gadgets he has on him.

The stewardess tries to console him telling him that they are not supposed to work until after take-off. He shrieks, “but his works” as he points to the person seated in front of him. The stewardess replies that what he sees does not indicate that his won’t work after take-off. He was unsatisfied, but there was nothing else to be done at the point.

Of course I was struck by his spoiled attitude, but I also wondered if I am any different? Granted I have a much better attitude, however, I too am connected to my gadgets. I don’t go anywhere without at least one of my devices. My phone, Ipod, and computer can all connect to the Internet through wifi. I am currently typing on my computer while hooked-up to my in-flight entertainment consle, listening to music.

Am I any different?

I have always valued my weekly Sabbath respite from these gadgets, pride myself that I attend a monthly in person book (not nook) club, and appreciate that my profession requires me to move to music in real time and space.

Once again I am reminded what my professors told me before embarking on a dance piece that utilizes technology. Envision a dance whose artistic aesthetic is enhanced by the technology you are using not one that is simply about using technology. I am beginning to believe that this principle should seep into my every day life. Allow the technology to enhance ones life not be its essence.

As I return to my New York City life, final projects, and the beginning of summer, I have started to envision how my days will unfold. I would like to connect to the people and places that are important to me, using technology to get me there, but once there I hope to be fully present and not to still be connected to my devices.  

No comments:

Post a Comment