I really thought I was on top of my March 20th collaboration. In mid-February I met a cellist who was interested in performing with me. I e-mailed her and facebooked message her a couple of times at the end of February and did not hear from her. I decided I needed a back-up in case she chose to ignore all my messages. A close friend of mine agreed to work with me. He plays drums, piano, and guitar recreationally. His repertoire consists of pop songs that he figures out how to play on his own, he does not write original music nor plays anything classical. Although it would be good enough for the performance, the cellist, a classically trained musician, would be a better fit for what I want to do. But something is better than nothing. I set up a time to meet with my backup artist when I finally get an e-mail from the cellist. She is available and is still interested to do the collaboration. Phew. I e-mail her back asking for sound clips, her schedule, what is the best way to be in touch, clearly e-mail is not her thing. I then head to meet with my back-up artist to let him know in person that my cellist finally got in touch with me, but at the same time secure him still for back up in case the cellist flakes out on me. Three days go by and I do not hear from my cellist. Now, I am getting nervous as we just had class and I feel this pressure to know what is going on. I confirm with my backup that I am going to use him and e-mail the cellist that it won't work out for this project but we might have an opportunity to collaborate in the future. For the first time in our correspondence the cellist e-mails me within the day apologizing for her delay and explaining her busy schedule and that over the next week she has spring break and will have time to collaborate.
Here is the dilemma, my back up agreed to do it as long as I "really mean it" and I told him I did. But that was before the cellist e-mailed me explaining herself. Do I bail on my friend, because the cellist finally got back to me? She clearly isn't responsible, how hard is it to e-mail something to the affect of I'm really busy now but my schedule frees up the week before the performance let's talk then, etc.? At the same time we'd create a better piece and since when are the creative types the easiest to work with?
So I'm not sure what to do. I told the cellist that I need to think this over as I feel really badly about stringing along my friend and that I would get back to her on Monday March 12th, which is today.
Do I choose the better performer? But what if she once again doesn't communicate or worse never skype's in? Ugh. I'm really frustrated by this whole situation.
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment