Sunday, March 6, 2011

Reina's Thoughts on Technology

First and foremost let me begin by writing that I am not a fan of blogs. I am a bit upset that I have been assigned to write a blog for my technology and resource course. I never imagined myself writing a blog. Blogs give people a platform in which they can write and be "published." For some it's an incredible opportunity for others a waste of time and internet space. I am not a writer and definitely do not need my thoughts to be broadcast and accessible on the world wide web. I am, however, a fan of personal writing and when I was a kid I kept many journals. In order to come to terms with this assignment I will view this blog as a class journal.

With that being said let me continue with the assignment. Reina's Thoughts on Technology.

My biggest concern with the rise of technology in the form of kindles, nook, online books, newspapers, magazines, etc. is the future of actual books. For that reason I chose my backdrop for this blog to be books, to remind us of how they look, in case you forget. Although environmentalists are probably raving about the decrease in paper and everyone likes the accessibility, mobility, and simplicity of the online books I am simply not a huge fan. I can not read on a screen. It strains my eyes. In addition, I can not curl up with a piece of technology like I can with a book. Lastly, and most importantly, as an observant Jew who keeps the Sabbath I do not use any form of technology from sundown Friday night to sundown Saturday night. For 25 hours I close all electronics and rest. Besides for going to Synagogue, eating, and sleeping, I'll sometimes go for a walk, make a puzzle, play boardgames, or read newspapers, magazines, my latest book club pick, whatever. Activities that have almost been forgotten by my generation.

The idea of the print word going extinct scares me more than anything. If all textbooks and reading material go online how will my children study/read on the Sabbath? When I discuss this concept with friends we wonder if Jewish law will evolve to accommodate the changes that technology brings. It might be decades before that happens, presses, publishers, printers would have to all be extinct. But the idea that we are heading in that direction is scary and/or exciting depending on your stance.

I wanted to bring up the concept of social platforms and technology as a way for us to connect to one another. In general, I find that we are all to connected to our appliances, whether it is a cell phone, Ipod, Ipad, Nook, etc. I too, like many individuals, ride the subways and walk the streets of Manhattan attached to some piece of equipment. We have found more and more ways to separate ourselves from actually confronting and facing our fellow man. We keep on finding more impersonal ways to stay connected. This Friday morning (March 4th) I was woken up by a phone call from one of my closest friends who lives in Israel. We stay connected via facebook (fb), e-mail, gchat, and a phone call around twice a month on Sundays. A call on a Friday morning is extremely out of the ordinary. She called to inform me that a friend of mine, Ilan Tokayer z"l, died the night before. It was a shock, he was 25, in good health, no one saw it coming. My immediate reaction was to confirm this horrible news. After all, I had just gchatted him the day before. There was just no way that he could be gone. I called another friend to confirm the news. Throughout the day I spoke to various friends. I spoke on the phone with people who were close to me but whose connection was over the past few years regulated to gchat and fb. During this tragic day, I needed real actual connection. I spent the Sabbath surrounded by friends, who like me grew up with Ilan. We reminisced and drew strength from one another.

It is at times like this that I appreciate my real connections with people. No form of technology can take the place of human comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment